A Strange Case

About a week and a half ago, I finished The Strange Case of Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde. I was surprised at how short the book was, especially considering that it is categorized as a classic novel, but the amount of content that Robert Louis Stevenson was able to author in 54 pages is astounding.

Taking the journey through a respectable man's scientific fantasies made real was definitely something I have never read about before, but was intrigued to learn (despite the fact that it was fiction).  It was actually quite sad to see the downfall of the protagonist, Dr. Henry Jekyll, turning into the madman and antagonist, Mr. Edward Hyde.

What I got out of this book is that this transformation is representative of the inner evil we have in all of us.  Why does mankind desire to partake in actions that are wrong, yet strive to live, or have other people see that we live, in the good graces of a moral life? I think that is the ultimate question for all of us to ask ourselves even in this non-fiction, very real life.

This book truly reminded me of how careful I need to be when playing with fire.  In fact, the farther away from the edge I stay is the only way to guarantee that I will not fall.  Unfortunately in Dr. Jekyll's case, he too often placed himself in a position where once he finally wanted to be rid of evil, he no longer could.  This message, as brought to us all in the form of the greatest type of media, is really one that we should take to heart.  Long-lasting and true happiness will never come from doing what is appealing to the natural man, and as Alma stated, "...wickedness never was happiness" (Alma 41:10).

What other books/types of media have you seen this message portrayed?


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A little part of my childhood

a little sight-seeing :)